Ten is a fairly dependable number for us human types. We have ten fingers, and ten toes, which is probably the reason why we use a base ten numbering system (can’t say “undoubtedly” because of those pesky Mayans and their base 60). We make top ten lists of things we like, and top ten lists of things we don’t like. We measure attractiveness on a scale of 1 to 10. We rate movies on a scale of 1 to 10. It’s such a common social construct that we people make lists that *aren’t* some multiple of ten, it strikes us as weird. Top 7 Lists? They’re out there, but the always seem incomplete, don’t they?
Most people attach some sort of significance to their decade birthdays (at least, the 30th, 40th, and 50th ones), and their decade anniversaries (10th High School Reunion, 20th Wedding Anniversary). People sometimes mix and match these social norms and come up with things like, “10 things to do before I turn 30”.
Of course there’s an inherent silliness to all this; if there really *are* 7 most important things in your life, or if your 18th Anniversary party is the most memorable, bending or warping those things to fit in the arbitrary framework of decades or top ten lists is just one step removed from numerology… but humans are pretty good at being silly from time to time, and for the most part it is a harmless exercise.
But I’m rambling. I’ll blame the web server that crashed at 5:30 this morning and required me to get up well before I was ready, willing, or even really able. In honor of the silliness of 10 and Theme Thursday, I give you my Top Ten “Top Not Ten Lists to Complete Before You Turn Fifty.” Meme-ify it if you have nothing better to do today 🙂
- Top One Vacation Destination to Visit If I’m Confined To A Wheelchair
- Top Two Pets I Won’t Let My Children Have
- Top Three Things Upon Which I’m Willing To “Put My Foot Down”
- Top Four Things I’m Really Bad At Doing
- Top Five “Top Ten Lists” That I Found Outrageously Wrong
- Top Six Gender-Appropriate Outfits I Wouldn’t Be Caught Dead Wearing In Public (pics required)
- Top Seven Reasons I Don’t Like Something (your choice)
- Top Eight Albums To Torture Me With On A Desert Island For Eternity
- Top Nine Movies I’m Glad Are Not Historical Documentaries Starring Me
- Top Ten Eleven Non-Family Members I Would Put On My “Survive The Zombie Apocalypse” Team